Recipe: Sweet Potato and Chickpea Burgers
Summary: I’m always on the lookout for a yummy veggie burger, I found this one on Choosing Raw. This is the cooked version that I’ve made a couple of adjustments to. You’re going to love them. They taste great . . . and are actually good for you.
- 2 small yams or sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour (or substitute ½ cup of cooked chickpeas, drained)
- 2 heaping tablespoons flax meal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, or 1 tbsp dried parsley (optional)
- Dash pepper
- Bake or steam sweet potatoes till tender. Remove skins, and scoop flesh into a food processor fitted with the S blade.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor and pulse to combine. Scrape the sides of the bowl down and process again, adding as much water as you need to make the mix smooth and uniform. Careful here! If you add even a tablespoon too much, you’ll end up with a dough that’s too soft to form into patties. Add the water sloooowly. Stop as soon as the mix is even, and shape it into two burgers.
- You can either bake the burgers at 375 for about twenty-five minutes, or spray a pan with coconut oil and grill them on each side till crispy and cooked through. I like the texture from baking, but either will work! Baking them is also a bit healthier for you.
- Serve with all your favorite burger toppings on whole grain buns.
You could use a VitaMix Blender – just keep the speed down and use the tamper.
Cooking time (duration): 30-60 min
Diet type: Vegan
Meal type: dinner
Microformatting by hRecipe.